Tasks and Objectives
Bertelsmann Stiftung in Gütersloh decided to migrate its legacy file server infrastructure to Microsoft SharePoint Server.
The foundation was not only determined to roll out new hardware and step up to SharePoint Server 2013, it also sought to revamp and update the database back-ends.
The objectives were to boost performance, implement a high-availability solution for mission-critical SharePoint databases, and boost database recovery speed and reliability with a new backup strategy.
Fast Lane engaged in a spirited dialog with the customer to design the solution and put it into practice. It lives up to all of Bertelsmann Stiftung's technical expectations and offers plenty of capacity for further growth beyond the roughly 1,000 devices it currently serves.
Fast Lane Services and Solution
As part of the services and solution package, Fast Lane:
- Held a kickoff meeting
- Analyzed the legacy database backends
- Assessed performance
- Drafted the hardware blueprint
- Planned the SQL Server instances
- Installed and configured six SQL Server cluster instances
- Defined a standard server configuration based on INI files
- Worked out a data security concept for a database with around 1.5 TB (plus capacity for growth)
- Ported SharePoint databases
- Optimized performance
- Monitored the migration of legacy infrastructure
- Conducted workshops for SQL Server administrators
Data & Analytics
About Bertelsmann Stiftung
The Bertelsmann Stiftung is a private operating foundation. In keeping with the tradition of their founder, Reinhard Mohn, the Bertelsmann Stiftung is dedicated to serving the common good. The foundations’ work is predicated on the belief that competition and civic engagement are key factors driving social progress.